Try this delicious and easy to make Plum Crunch Loaf courtesy of our colleagues at Pinnocks Coffee House, Ripiey. Perfect for an autumnal afternoon now that the evenings are getting darker, quicker!
For the cake batter:
- 125g Soft Unsalted Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 2 large Free Range Eggs
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 200g Plums
- 3-5 Tablespoons Milk
For the topping:
- Juice of 2 Oranges
- 4 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
- Handful of broken/crushed white or brown sugar cubes
- Heat oven to 180°c (160°c fan).
- This recipe is an all in one mix, so you will need to ensure that all your ingredients are at room temperature. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Firstly, prepare your plums by stoning them, slice half into segments and chop the other half into clubes.
- Place all your ingredients except the plums and milk into a bowl and blend until a thick batter is formed and all of the ingredients are combined. Fold in the tablespoons of milk until you have a batter resembling thick double cream. Fold in half your plums (the slices).
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin and top with the remaining plums. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Prepare your topping. Juice and strain your two oranges and mix with the 4-6 tablespoons of caster sugar. Depending on how juicy your oranges are you may need to use more or less caster sugar. Heat up on the hob until the sugar is dissolved and allow to cool. Your topping should be a thick orange glaze which will set onto the top of your sponge.
- When the baking times up, you can test if your sponge is cooked by using a skewer or a cocktail stick, it will come out clean when your cake is cooked through.
- Remove your lovely autumnal sponge from the oven and prick it all over to create small holes for the syrup to be absorbed. Top the cake with your crushed sugar cubes and gradually pour over your glaze, ensuring you cover the whole cake.
- Allow to cool until completely cold in the tin and then tuck in and enjoy.
Let us know if you give this a go by sharing your yummy results on our social media! Enjoy!
Back to Blog